MSD STUDENTS ARE READY FOR HIGH SCHOOL AND BEYOND
Find a wonderful mix of academics, discovery, creativity, athletics, music and so much more…
The forward-thinking ideas Maria Montessori introduced to the world 100 years ago have withstood the test of time because they were brilliantly, simply, about how human beings learn. And for over 55 years, Montessori School of Denver has been building on those ideals, adding innovation and technology, increased global readiness and a curriculum that makes sure our graduates are ready for rigorous academics in high school and beyond.
- Personal relationships are at the heart of all we do. Our teachers know what each child needs and nurture student growth in all areas.
- We foster intellectual curiosity. Lessons are intriguing, diverse, and designed to keep kids interested, active, and engaged. We encourage kids to be creative problem-solvers.
- We teach kids to think in connections. Our curriculum is highly integrated. Learning things in context makes sense for students!
- We think sitting still is overrated! When kids move their bodies, their brains have room to think.
- We teach responsibility. Kids learn how to partner in their own learning and to not be afraid to take risks. We encourage students to be good citizens.
- Our method works! Montessori philosophy is over 100 years old! Its effectiveness is supported by current brain research and best educational practices.
MSD STUDENTS ARE CREATIVE THINKERS AND LEADERS.
We are an entire community of global do-gooders.
We have worked consciously to strengthen our public purpose through our school’s purposeful civic engagement. Civic engagement through service-learning has always been a part of MSD’s traditions and school culture. We recognize the importance of educating our children to be not only competent individuals but also people who are thoughtful, compassionate and civic-minded members of society. Our mission statement includes the call to “do good in the world” and we select service-learning projects that go beyond collecting spare change to provide opportunities for our students to apply skills learned in the classroom, develop leadership skills, appreciate diversity and learn character and the concept of giving selflessly.
Meaningful service-learning is the combination of education and volunteering, we want our students to develop a sense of civic and social responsibility through classroom learning as well as by giving them the opportunity to become active, positive contributors to society. MSD students acquire an ethic of caring because we marry service, education, and reflection. Through our carefully crafted Do Good/service-learning program, our students see firsthand that they can truly make a difference and from that involvement comes a sense of leadership, responsibility, increased self-awareness, confidence and respect for others. They see and experience the powerful bridge between themselves, our school, and the greater community.
DOING GOOD IN AND OUTSIDE OF MSD
The Montessori philosophy is all about thinking outside the box. And the neighborhood. And our comfort zones. Our teachers help kids of all ages understand the important role they can play in the world so that they become creative thinkers and leaders for the good of others.
Service-Learning in Denver:
- South Platte Family Stewardship Day (previously known as “Family RiverSweep”) – We gather to clean and improve several City Parks along The South Platte River.
- Donate produce – our Farm Team regularly donates produce from our Urban and Vertical Farms to various charitable organizations.
- Assisted Living Home Visits – students visit and sing songs, distribute handmade cards, play games, read books, and do crafts with the residents.
Doing Good at MSD:
- Reading and Technology Buddies – older students teaching younger students skills.
- Campus-wide Recycling and Composting – keeping our campus “green.”
- Middle School “Intersessions” – providing an intensive, integrated themed experience, with do good, hands on components.